Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Lobbing Grenades and NASCAR Thinking


It seems I always learn something from the experiences that my sons have and share with me.  I try to listen closely to their tales.  One son was going through Marine boot camp and was on the training field for throwing grenades.  Apparently there is a very specific protocol to throwing grenades effectively.  And this is one of those specific times when “mindfulness” in training is especially important.  Just going through the motions doesn't always work.  More is required.  And this is what my son suddenly realized as he was holding a live grenade.  Without any further thought he heaved it out and away with it culminating with an explosion in an area that was NOT expected by the instructor who yelled, “Where the hell were you aiming?”  To which he replied, “I wasn't aiming, sir.  I just got rid of it.”

The mind is an amazing tool in our lives.  Unlike the body which needs to be fed two or three times a day, the mind requires to be fed constantly.  We are continuously feeding the mind information to analyze, evaluate, and judge.  This leads some to believe that they can “multi-task” efficiently.  Recently I heard of a driver who was driving with his knees and texting on two different cell phones, simultaneously.  What this really reflects is a “racing mind”.  Like Star Trek, this is a mind going at warp speed and spinning out of control.  Sometimes I refer to such thinking as NASCAR thinking.  Racing at 200 miles per hour and going nowhere but in circles and processing the same tape loops over and over.  And we end up just lobbing grenades everywhere with no known aim or direction.

There is a way out of the box of the racing-mind.  We can indeed take noble control of our minds and slow it down.  Vipassana meditation teaches how to do that with breathe awareness.  It helps us come back to NOW and this moment in time and not to dwell in the future fears and concerns.  We can rehearse the future so much that we lose this moment and change the human experience that we are so concerned about being in control.  In all our mental contriving about what is going to happen next, we can stop the flow of goodness already coming our way.  Soon, we are just lobbing grenades.  Mark Twain understood this toward the end of his life when he said;

“I have had many trying and difficult problems in my life. 
Most of which never happened.”

Yesterday I had a doctor’s appointment at 1 p.m.  We arrived early and left after 3 p.m.  We started our wait in the waiting room, then to one exam room and then shuttled to yet another exam room.  Along the way, we learned that the lab work they wanted last week was not done.  It seemed like someone was just lobbing grenades since last Friday. 

I find this is the best time to practice my breathe awareness.  It can be helpful.  And when finally the visit with the doctor came, our time proved worthwhile.  As my wife and I left the exam room, the doctor shook my hand and put his hand on my shoulder and wished me goodness in his comments.  That usually doesn't happen in my office visits.  I suspect practice of the now may well have affected the visit verses having a racing mind after two hours of waiting.  Besides, who wants to be lobbing grenades all day?   

Whatever harm a foe may do to foe,
or hater unto one he hates.
The ill-directed mind indeed
can do one greater harm.

Dhammapada 42

No comments:

Post a Comment