Thursday, January 3, 2013

Getting Blood Out of a Turnip


Recently I returned to a blood draw lab to gift them with a box of chocolates.  That is because I think they are under appreciated.  They are not always people’s favorite person to see.  I imagine them in the back office humming the song from Annie, It’s a Hard Luck Life for Us, just like the orphans girls in the musical.  Being a little “needle-shy”, I can relate to others and I work at appreciating their efforts on my behalf.

Recently I had some blood drawn.  It went from a “long nite in jail” to humorous.  Let me explain.  When we arrived at the lab, the waiting room was full.  But people zipped in and zipped out.  It cleared pretty fast.  Beth (my wife) handed our fistful of orders and they prepared for my draw.  I went to the draw room and saw a string of bar code labels that fell to the floor.  23 vials, 4 more bottles of blood, 2 urinalysis, 1 sputum and the need for two pokes.  One from each arm.  Oh boy.

The MRI from the day before had previously required a contrast medium therefore an IV.  That did not go well.  It required four pokes and re enforcement of techies.  They found one good line so I kept the elastic on it all night to protect it for today.  Wrong.   That collapses it and didn’t help anything. So today was long and slow.  I started in with my practiced breath meditation and finally resorted to silently singing “Give said the little stream.”   Hoping that would aid in the flow of blood.  It took over a half hour.  Soon my tech ask another tech to help her.  That sounded like déjà vu from yesterday.  Hmmm, guess I am a high maintenance client.

Now for the reason why I laughed all the way home.   It was what Beth told me after we left.  She was sitting alone in the waiting room when it began to fill up.  All the chairs are full and no workers are out front and it is dead silent.  People are impatient and must know how quickly this process should move along.   They sensed a gridlock somewhere.  One left the office, one went for a smoke outside and another lady finally spoke up.  “What’s going on?  What is the problem here?”  “Have they gone to lunch?  It is only eleven o’clock?” 

They start counting heads and Beth finally speaks up.  “I am not here for a blood draw.  I am waiting for my husband who is in the back.”  There was a long pregnant silence as everyone processed that information.  Then a client who identified herself as “Debbie” responded, “Then maybe your husband is the problem.”  Again silence.  Beth nods her head in agreement.  Maybe her husband is the problem.  Not a comfortable thing to admit to perfect strangers and to Debbie.

Again, Debbie speaks up.  “I think you should check on your husband.  He may be in trouble and they are not telling you.”  So Beth quickly gets up and goes back to my drawing room.  She sees all the blood samples scattered across the counter that the two tech’s are trying to take out of my right arm and returns to the waiting room to report the 23 vials and 4 bottles of blood they are extracting from both arms.  And Deb, with an air of authority responded,  “That’s ridiculous, no doctor should take that much blood from anyone.”  Another sympathetic soul asked, “Will your husband be able to walk and go home?”  There is then talk amongst the waiting room if they all should now go back and check on me.  Hmmmmm  how thoughtful.

With that, Beth retreated back to the blood-drawing room to wait for me, thinking that was the safest place to be.  By that time, things were nearly complete and Beth quickly shuttles me through the waiting area out to the parking lot before the restless natives could say any more.  Hats off to all the medical staffs everywhere who work to care for us. 

You are Special.




No comments:

Post a Comment